Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email Teachers Pay Teachers Image Map

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Energy Bus



I LOVE this book and its message!  If you don't know this book, I would encourage you to grab a copy and share it with your students.  This book definitely would be great for upper elementary grades as well.  Since I'm in first, I actually take several weeks to read this book.   It has such a strong, positive message that we refer to the entire year.  In the story a boy named George learns 5 rules from the Energy Bus Driver, Joy: create a positive vision, fuel your ride with positive energy, no bullies allowed, love your passengers, and enjoy the ride.  This book reminds me of a much "meatier" version of the Bucket Filler book which I also read with the class.  This is an excellent book to apply the reading comprehension strategy of making connections.

Create a Positive Vision

George learns that seeing yourself accomplishing your dreams actually can help make them come true.  I had the students think about short term and long term goals.  They drew pictures and wrote about their goals on school buses.  Here are a few of their positive visions:


Reading

Throwing basketball in the hoop

Being a vet

Exercising

Cartwheel

Be a lifeguard

Be a football player on the Browns

Be a police officer

Do a handstand

Learn how to swim

Catch the football one handed

Doing a headstand

Be a football player

A book writer when I grow up

Ride my bike no hands standing up

Catching football for a touchdown

Defeating level 99 on Lego Marvels

To be a doctor

Reading a book, learning how to swim better, be a construction worker

Play basketball

Do a handstand

Being  a lifeguard, sit with my brother on the bus when he gets older

Being a teacher, learning how to play the guitar

Being a soccer player, being a library teacher

Doing a cartwheel

Reaching level 99 on castle crasher

Kicking the soccer ball into the goal, playing basketball, playing baseball





Fuel Your Ride with Positive Energy

Next, George learns the importance of thinking positive thoughts.  I talk to my students about how it is so easy to think of all the things that we wish were different.  I could make a very long list of all the things that are bothering me or that I wish I could change.  However, that doesn't do any good!  Instead, I like to keep a list of all the things that are good in my life.  There is always something to be thankful for.  I tell them even adults need to be reminded to do this sometimes! I have each of them share something that made them happy that day.  It could be something little like siting by a friend on the bus or last year's teacher smiling and saying hello to them on their way in to school.  It could be that the cafeteria served their favorite meal for lunch today.  I give them a gratitude journal and have them complete one page with at least one specific event that has been positive for the day so far.  I encourage them to take the journals home and write in them whenever they can.  When we start looking for the positive in each day, things always seem to be better:)










 No Bullies Allowed

In the story even though George is trying to be positive, he still encounters difficulty with some bullies at school.  He learns that he has the power not to let bullies on his bus.  The book offers 3 suggestions: avoid them, walk away (after respectfully telling them to stop), and tell someone.  This is why I spend so much time reading this book.  Each one of these rules provides such great opportunities for meaningful conversations!





Love Your Passengers

This one might be my favorite.  George learns the value in spreading kindness to others.  I have each of the students write a letter to someone to say thank you or just to say something kind.  The students write to bus drivers, teachers, our custodian, their parents, friends, grandparents, recess/lunch aides, neighbors, etc.  In the website I link to at the end of this post, there are templates for students to do similar acts on a regular basis.







Enjoy the Ride

Finally, students learn about the importance of enjoying the ride.  I have them think of things that they enjoy doing and complete the graphic organizer.



Resources

Visit the Energy Bus for Kids website.  It has lots of FREE printables and ideas about how to use the book.  You can also download the pages I created for FREE here.

This book always gets me inspired and I even find myself mentally creating my vision for my future, making an effort to notice all of the positive things in my life, and reaching out to spread kindness.  Love the positive message.  Love the book.  Hope you enjoy it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment